You are reading

Rep. Maloney Urges CUNY to Reverse Layoffs of Nearly 3,000 Employees

Queens College (Photo Courtesy of Queens College)

Aug. 25, 2020 By Allie Griffin

Congresswoman Carolyn Maloney penned a letter to the City University of New York (CUNY) urging the administration to reverse its decision to layoff nearly 3,000 employees.

CUNY decided to not renew the contracts of about 2,800 employees — mostly adjunct professors and part time staff members — across its 25 colleges for the fall semester last month ahead of budget cuts from the city.

Maloney, along with seven other Congress members, criticized CUNY for the layoffs after the federal government provided millions in funding to the school system.

“We are deeply concerned that CUNY is conducting mass layoffs when so much federal funding was allocated to avoid loss of employment and subsequent loss of healthcare insurance for hundreds of our constituents,” they wrote in a letter sent Monday to the CUNY Chancellor and Chair of the CUNY Board of Trustees.

The lawmakers noted that they fought for funding for the school system in the CARES Act and secured $132 million in institutional support for CUNY colleges.

The cost of keeping the 2,800 employees on payroll for the fall semester would be about $30 million, based on the current semester’s data, according to the Congress members. That amount is just a fraction of the CARES funding allocated for the purpose of keeping people’s jobs, they said.

“We are dismayed that in the midst of this pandemic you have decided to lay off nearly 3,000 employees, when the CARES institutional support funding was intended to help keep faculty on payroll,” they wrote in the letter.

The representatives said most of the laid-off employees were adjunct professors who collectively taught thousands of courses each term. These courses will either have reduced class sizes or be cut entirely, they added.

“The livelihoods and health of CUNY employees are at stake, but equally at risk is educational quality for the students,” they state in the letter.

Maloney was joined by New York Congress Members Max Rose, Kathleen Rice, Thomas Suozzi, Adriano Espaillat, José Serrano, Eliot Engel and Sean Patrick Maloney in signing the letter.

Together, the representatives urged CUNY to “maintain worker employment and health insurance to the greatest extent possible in these precarious times.”

The CARES Act also awarded $118 million in emergency financial aid for CUNY students.

CUNY was unable to be reached for immediate comment.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Off-duty paramedic spots South Richmond Hill two-alarm house fire that injures nine firefighters, two civilians on Friday morning: FDNY

Nine firefighters were injured, two of them seriously, and two civilians sustained minor injuries during a two-alarm house fire in South Richmond Hill on Friday morning, but it could have been worse if not for the actions of an off-duty veteran EMT.

Paramedic Craig Biscuiti was driving to work when he noticed a column of thick black smoke and heavy flames coming from the first floor of a two-story home at 95-36 111th St. just before 7:10 a.m.

Masked gunman wanted for allegedly robbing a Hillside Avenue convenience store in Hollis: NYPD

Police from the 103rd Precinct in Jamaica are looking for an armed robber who targeted a Hollis convenience store during the early morning of Tuesday, Aug. 5.

The suspect entered the storefront at 187-42 Hillside Ave. just before 5 a.m. and allegedly pulled out a firearm and demanded items from a 26-year-old man behind the counter. The perpetrator removed $100 from the cash register and merchandise from behind the counter before casually walking out of the shop onto Hillside Avenue. The store employee was not injured during the armed robbery.

Queens Together launches ‘Unofficial US Open Dining Guide’ encouraging fans to sample restaurants along the 7 line

Aug. 20, 2025 By Shane O’Brien

The US Open returns to Flushing Meadows Corona Park this Sunday, with more than 1 million attendees anticipated to take mass transit to the iconic annual tennis event. With hundreds of thousands of fans set to take the 7 out to the Billie Jean King National Tennis Center, there is a world of delicious local eateries lying beneath the elevated train tracks should any fan wish to stop en-route to the US Open.