You are reading

20-Year-Old Man Who Allegedly Killed 79-Year-Old Golf Course Worker Indicted: DA

iStock

Oct. 1, 2021 By Christian Murray

A 20-year-old man who allegedly assaulted a senior citizen during a confrontation at a golf course in Queens last year—which arguably caused the elderly man’s death days later—has been indicted on charges of assault and criminally negligent homicide.

David Mangaran, of Allentown, Penn., faces up to seven years in prison for allegedly attacking a 79-year-old Whitestone man who was working at the Forest Park Golf Course in September 2020 when the assault took place. The attack is believed to have led to the senior’s death.

The defendant, who was with a number of teenagers at the time of the incident, allegedly attacked the 79-year-old after being told that he was trespassing on the golf course and had to leave.

“Physical violence is never the appropriate response during a confrontation. The victim was a senior citizen, whose life was tragically cut short due to the alleged actions of this defendant,” said Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz in a statement.

According to the charges, at around 3 p.m. on Sept. 8, 2020, Mangaran was on a bicycle on the grounds of the Forest Park Golf Course when the victim, William Hinchey, approached the defendant in a golf cart and told him to leave the property.

Moments later, Mangaran allegedly grabbed Hinchey and pulled him from the cart. He then dragged him across the pavement and then threw him to the ground.

Hinchey, according to the District Attorney, was taken to a nearby hospital, where he died from his injuries.

Mangaran was arraigned yesterday before Queens Supreme Court Justice Toni Cimino on a three-count indictment charging him with two counts of assault in the second degree and criminally negligent homicide. He was ordered to return to court on Dec. 21.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

City hosting walking tours at the new Arverne East Nature Preserve in the Rockaways on Sunday

This Sunday, May 19, the city is conducting walking tours of the newly opened Arverne East Nature Preserve in the Rockaways to showcase the 35-acre beachfront jewel developed on a formerly vacant illegal dumping ground on Beach 44th Street in Edgemere.

The tours, hosted by the Department of City Planning (DCP), NYC Parks, and the Department of Housing Preservation and Development (HPD), will allow participants to explore the preserve’s diverse ecosystem. The large preserve is a component of the upcoming Arverne East housing development, which, when completed, will be one of the most environmentally conscious developments in the United States, achieving net zero and eliminating the need for fossil fuels on-site.

QBP Richards, advocates rally to demand Mayor Adams restore funding to City’s libraries

May. 17, 2024 By Gabriele Holtermann

A rally was held at the Queens Public Library at Forest Hills on May 16, during which Queens Borough President Donovan Richards, Queens Public Library President and CEO Dennis Walcott, union reps and library advocates called on Mayor Eric Adams to reverse the proposed $58.3 million budget cuts to the New York Public Library (NYPL), the Brooklyn Public Library (BPL), and the Queens Public Library (QBL) for Fiscal Year 2025, which begins on July 1, 2024.

Queens elected officials secure $70 million from New York State Budget for school safety equipment in religious and independent schools

May. 17, 2024 By Anthony Medina

Religious and independent schools throughout the city will soon receive additional funding for school safety equipment, thanks to Assemblymember Andrew Hevesi and State Senator Michael Gianaris, who, after extensive advocacy efforts, successfully secured $70 million from the New York State Budget for 2024-25 for Non-Public School Safety Equipment (NPSE) grants.

Young man chased, punched out and robbed in Cambria Heights by gunman who remains at large: NYPD

Police from the 105th Precinct in Queens Village are looking for a gunman who chased his victim through Cambria Heights before beating and robbing him on the night of Wednesday, May 8.

A 22-year-old man was in front of a business establishment at 229-02 Linden Blvd. when he was approached by a stranger. Sensing danger, he took off running eastbound toward the Cross Island Parkway with his assailant in pursuit.