You are reading

Bayside Lawyer Pleads Guilty for Swindling Dozens of Clients Out of $1.8 Million

(iStock)

Feb. 1, 2022 By Allie Griffin

A disbarred Bayside lawyer has pleaded guilty to grand larceny for bilking dozens of clients out of more than $1.8 million over a five-year period.

Yohan Choi, who ran a law practice on Northern Boulevard in Flushing, failed to hand over thousands of dollars to approximately 50 clients who he successfully represented in personal injury cases, according to the charges.

The 47-year-old pleaded guilty to grand larceny in the fourth degree in Queens criminal court Monday and will likely face prison time.

According to the charges, Choi won dozens of settlements between 2015 and 2020, but his clients never saw a penny.

For instance, Choi reached a $52,000 settlement for a client in November 2016 but failed to hand over any of the proceeds. The woman was entitled to $35,000—after legal fees—but got nothing.

Choi reached a $75,000 settlement in a different lawsuit in May 2018 and should have forwarded $50,000 to his client. He failed to provide his client with any of the money.

The following year, in November 2017, Choi lost his license to practice law. However, he still continued to swindle cash from clients, according to the charges.

A man who hired Choi after he was disbarred never saw the $30,150 he was due from a May 2020 settlement. Choi received a check from an insurance company on behalf of the client for $45,000 and kept it all for himself, according to the charges.

He stole funds from many clients, according to charges. At the time of his plea, he signed 28 confessions of judgment to repay the money to his victims.

“As a member of the bar, this defendant took an oath to uphold the law,” Katz said in a statement. “Unfortunately, his greed overpowered his sense of duty and between August 2015 and August 2020 he failed to turn over more than $1.8 million to clients who had settled personal injury claims.”

Choi is set to return to court for sentencing on April 6.

Judge Eugene Guarino indicated he would order Choi to serve 1 ½ to 4 ½ years in prison.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

South Ozone Park gunman faces 25 years to life in prison for murder at Richmond Hill auto repair shop: DA

A South Ozone Park man was indicted by a Queens grand jury in the fatal shooting of a 24-year-old celebrating his 24th birthday in 2022.

Curtis Benjamin, 27, of 113th Street, was arraigned Thursday in Queens Supreme Court on a 14-count indictment charging him with murder, attempted murder and other related crimes for gunning down Justin Baerga and wounding three other partygoers during the attack.

Man sought for allegedly committing act of public lewdness in front of 16-year-old girl on Q43 bus: NYPD

Police from the 103rd Precinct in Jamaica are looking for a creep who subjected a 16-year-old girl to public lewdness in broad daylight while they rode a Q43 bus in Jamaica Estates late last month.

The incident occurred just after 2 p.m. on Tuesday, June 25 as the teen was aboard the Q43 as it rolled down Hillside Boulevard near the intersection of Francis Lewis Boulevard, when she saw a stranger perform a lewd act and stroking her leg before she exited the bus, police said. The suspect remained on the Q43 and the girl was not injured during the disturbing episode.

Queens Village man indicted for stabbing stranger to death in Jamaica deli: DA

A Queens grand jury indicted a Southeast Queens man for fatally stabbing a stranger to death in a Jamaica deli last month.

Jahshua Kelley, 40, of 107th Avenue in Queens Village, was arraigned in Queens Supreme Court Wednesday on a four-count indictment charging him with murder in the second degree, two counts of assault and criminal possession of a weapon. If convicted, Kelley faces up to 25 years to life in prison.

AG James announces dismantling of Queens-based ghost gun trafficking operation

New York Attorney General Letitia James announced Wednesday the takedown of a prolific Queens-based gun trafficking crew accused of selling firearms and ammo at an East Elmhurst playground, the Queens Center Mall and other locations around the borough.

James secured a 625-count indictment charging five men for participating in the gun smuggling ring, which involved selling dozens of ghost guns, assault weapons, high-capacity magazines and hundreds of rounds of ammunition.