You are reading

Citi Field COVID-19 Vaccination Site Will Open in ‘a Matter of Days,’ de Blasio Says

Citi Field (Wikimedia Commons)

Feb. 5, 2021 By Allie Griffin

The COVID-19 vaccination site at Citi Field will open in “a matter of days,” Mayor Bill de Blasio announced Friday.

The 24/7 “megasite” was supposed to open the week of Jan. 25, but was delayed due to the city’s shortage of vaccines.

The ball field will have the capacity to vaccinate 5,000 to 7,000 New Yorkers each day once open.

While many Queens lawmakers welcome its impending arrival, critics argue that it will be of little use to many seniors. The stadium has limited public transit options and many seniors don’t drive.

Furthermore, its opening, they say, will not fill the void in northeast Queens, where there isn’t a single COVID-19 vaccination site.

There are zero sites in neighborhoods like Fresh Meadows, Bayside, Whitestone, Beechurst, Little Neck, Oakland Gardens, Glen Oaks and Douglaston, according to the city’s vaccinate site finder.

A map of COVID-19 vaccination sites, depicted as blue dots (nyc.gov/vaccinefinder)

Several elected officials representing northeast Queens pleaded with the city last month to open vaccine sites in their districts.

“We write to you expressing our concern and disappointment with the lack of vaccination sites in the districts we represent,” State Sen. John Liu; Assembly Members Nily Rozic and Edward Braunstein and Council Members Barry Grodenchik, Paul Vallone and Peter Koo wrote in a Jan. 12 letter to de Blasio.

The city hasn’t added any vaccine sites to the area since the letter and the impact is being felt in the communities.

A Fresh Meadows resident complained to de Blasio about the lack of vaccine sites on the Brian Lehrer show this morning.

Emil, a 69-year-old cancer survivor who didn’t reveal his last name, said he was forced to go to Long Island to get a vaccine appointment.

“Why do I have to travel 30 miles each way to go get an appointment for a vaccine when I live in New York City?” Emil asked de Blasio. “You mentioned that you opened up 17 pop-up centers throughout the city. None of them, none of them are in northeast Queens.”

De Blasio told Emil there are more sites coming, but didn’t specify when or where.

“I do want to make sure that folks in northeast Queens get served better,” he said. “There are more sites coming.”

De Blasio blamed the city’s inadequate supply of the COVID-19 vaccine for the lack of vaccine sites.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Brooklyn man who was cleared in the murder of 14-year-old girl, indicted for attempted murder of teen in Middle Village last July: DA

A Brooklyn man who had a murder conviction vacated by the Queens District Attorney’s Office in November 2022 was indicted in connection to a fatal shooting in Middle Village.

Shamel Capers, 24, of Herzl Street, was arraigned Tuesday in Queens Supreme Court on an indictment charging him with attempted murder and Dante Hunter, 25, of Mott Avenue in Far Rockaway, was arraigned Monday on an indictment charging with murder and other crimes in the fatal shooting of 19-year-old Joshua Taylor in Middle Village last July.

Construction workers rescued from trench collapse at South Ozone Park home Monday morning: FDNY

The FDNY rescued two construction workers who were injured during a trench collapse at a home in South Ozone Park Monday morning.

Multiple units, including Squad 288 from Maspeth and Engine 302 in Jamaica, began arriving on the scene minutes after receiving a call just after 11:36 a.m. of workers trapped in the collapse of a retaining wall at 133-28 150th St. Firefighters discovered the two men pinned at the knees from dirt and debris in a collapsed 20-by-40-foot section. A neighbor who witnessed the scene said other construction workers came to the aid of the two before the FDNY arrived on the scene.

John Adams HS assistant principal busted in alleged sexual abuse of 15-year-old student: NYPD

An administrator at John Adams High School in Ozone Park was arrested on campus Wednesday for allegedly stroking the inner thigh of a 15-year-old student on Monday and then showing pornographic images of himself to her the following day.

Police from the 106th Precinct in Ozone Park responded to the scene after the student reported the incident to another John Adams High School administrator. Michael Budhu, 52, was then taken into custody.

Five Queens startups win $20,000 each in 2024 Tech + Innovation Challenge

May. 19, 2024 By Czarinna Andres

A diverse range of businesses, including a yoga studio, an olive oil distributor, a female health care provider, a sustainable mushroom farmer, and an AI-powered physical therapy service, have been named winners of the 2024 Queens Tech + Innovation Challenge (QTIC). Each winner will receive a $20,000 grant to support their business operations.

City hosting walking tours at the new Arverne East Nature Preserve in the Rockaways on Sunday

This Sunday, May 19, the city is conducting walking tours of the newly opened Arverne East Nature Preserve in the Rockaways to showcase the 35-acre beachfront jewel developed on a formerly vacant illegal dumping ground on Beach 44th Street in Edgemere.

The tours, hosted by the Department of City Planning (DCP), NYC Parks, and the Department of Housing Preservation and Development (HPD), will allow participants to explore the preserve’s diverse ecosystem. The large preserve is a component of the upcoming Arverne East housing development, which, when completed, will be one of the most environmentally conscious developments in the United States, achieving net zero and eliminating the need for fossil fuels on-site.

QBP Richards, advocates rally to demand Mayor Adams restore funding to City’s libraries

May. 17, 2024 By Gabriele Holtermann

A rally was held at the Queens Public Library at Forest Hills on May 16, during which Queens Borough President Donovan Richards, Queens Public Library President and CEO Dennis Walcott, union reps and library advocates called on Mayor Eric Adams to reverse the proposed $58.3 million budget cuts to the New York Public Library (NYPL), the Brooklyn Public Library (BPL), and the Queens Public Library (QBL) for Fiscal Year 2025, which begins on July 1, 2024.