You are reading

Constantinides Backs Incumbent Donovan Richards in Queens Borough President Race

Council Member Costa Constantinides and Queens Borough President Donovan Richards (Queens Borough President Donovan Richards via Twitter)

March 19, 2021 By Allie Griffin

Council Member Costa Constantinides has endorsed Donovan Richards–the incumbent–in the Queens Borough President race.

Constantinides, who unsuccessfully competed for the borough president spot last year, said Richards has performed well since he took office last year–following his victory in the special election.

“Since taking office in December, he has quickly gotten to work to take on the issues facing Queens and delivering on the promises he made,” Constantinides said in a statement. “I am confident that he will continue that record of accomplishment and I am proud to endorse his campaign for Queens Borough President.”

Richards, who represented southeast Queens in the city council before being elected borough president, said he was proud to have worked with Constantinides in the council and thanked him for his work as an advisor on his transition team at Queens Borough Hall.

“As I took office, Costa was an important part of our transition team, leading our planning committee to ensure a sustainable future for Queens,” he said. “I am grateful to have his support and look forward to continuing to work together for Queens residents.”

Richards won the borough president seat through a special election last year that was triggered when Melinda Katz vacated the office to become Queens District Attorney. His victory allowed him to finish out Katz’s term, which ends Dec. 31.

Richards faces some strong competition in his re-election bid.

Council Member Jimmy Van Bramer, former Council Member Elizabeth Crowley and tenant organizer Stan Morse are among the candidates competing for his job.

email the author: [email protected]
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Queens man faces life in prison for murder of his accomplice during Ozone Park shootout: DA

A Springfield Gardens man was indicted by a Queens grand jury for murder and other crimes for allegedly gunning down his own accomplice instead of his intended target during an Ozone Park shootout in June, according to Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz.

Richard Dixon, 32, of 141st Avenue, was arraigned Jan. 27 before Queens Supreme Court Justice Kenneth Holder on an eight-count indictment charging him with murder in the second degree, attempted murder, assault and criminal possession of a weapon.

BP launches new advisory panel for youth to become civically engaged in the future of Queens

In an effort to get more young people involved in civics, Queens Borough President Donovan Richards has created a new advisory panel known as the Youth and Young Adult Council to introduce the “youngest and fiercest” community advocates to both community service and organization.

Members of the advisory body will advocate concerns through means of community engagement by participating in one of two cohorts. The first will be made up of high school representatives between the ages of 13 and 17, while the second cohort will be comprised of young adults between the ages of 18 and 25.