You are reading

Elizabeth Crowley is Back, Officially Launches Second Bid for Queens BP

Elizabeth Crowley (Elizabeth Crowley via Facebook)

April 14, 2021 By Allie Griffin

Former Council Member Elizabeth Crowley officially announced Wednesday that she is running for Queens Borough President once again.

Crowley, who was surrounded by well-wishers, made the announcement at an event held on the steps of the Flushing Library Wednesday.

“Our borough was facing crises on many fronts even prior to the pandemic,” she said. “The status quo isn’t enough. I will fight for the families of Queens. I have the experience to do so.”

Crowley, who represented the 30th Council District from 2009 to 2017, ran for the position last year to replace outgoing Queens Borough President Melinda Katz. Katz left to become Queens district attorney.

The Glendale resident came in second in the June Democratic primary to Donovan Richards, who went on to secure the borough president seat in the November general election.

Richards won the right to hold office until the end of the year—completing what would have been Katz’ term. He is not vying for a full term and is facing Crowley and Council Member Jimmy Van Bramer in a primary on June 22.

Crowley announced Wednesday that her top priorities as borough president would be to fight for a recovery plan that prioritizes the needs of working families and small businesses. She said she would also work to provide rental assistance for tenants, many of whom have struggled throughout the pandemic.

She said she would work to secure resources to prevent hate crimes in Queens — especially those against Asian Americans.

Crowley also said she would protect and expand the gifted and talented program at public schools and fight for smaller class sizes. She pledged to expand public transit, including free busing throughout the borough.

“I have lived my entire life in Queens, and I raised a family here as a single parent,” she said. “I know all of the neighborhoods in Queens, and I have always put the needs of Queens’ families first.”

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

South Ozone Park gunman faces 25 years to life in prison for murder at Richmond Hill auto repair shop: DA

A South Ozone Park man was indicted by a Queens grand jury in the fatal shooting of a 24-year-old celebrating his 24th birthday in 2022.

Curtis Benjamin, 27, of 113th Street, was arraigned Thursday in Queens Supreme Court on a 14-count indictment charging him with murder, attempted murder and other related crimes for gunning down Justin Baerga and wounding three other partygoers during the attack.

Man sought for allegedly committing act of public lewdness in front of 16-year-old girl on Q43 bus: NYPD

Police from the 103rd Precinct in Jamaica are looking for a creep who subjected a 16-year-old girl to public lewdness in broad daylight while they rode a Q43 bus in Jamaica Estates late last month.

The incident occurred just after 2 p.m. on Tuesday, June 25 as the teen was aboard the Q43 as it rolled down Hillside Boulevard near the intersection of Francis Lewis Boulevard, when she saw a stranger perform a lewd act and stroking her leg before she exited the bus, police said. The suspect remained on the Q43 and the girl was not injured during the disturbing episode.

Queens Village man indicted for stabbing stranger to death in Jamaica deli: DA

A Queens grand jury indicted a Southeast Queens man for fatally stabbing a stranger to death in a Jamaica deli last month.

Jahshua Kelley, 40, of 107th Avenue in Queens Village, was arraigned in Queens Supreme Court Wednesday on a four-count indictment charging him with murder in the second degree, two counts of assault and criminal possession of a weapon. If convicted, Kelley faces up to 25 years to life in prison.

AG James announces dismantling of Queens-based ghost gun trafficking operation

New York Attorney General Letitia James announced Wednesday the takedown of a prolific Queens-based gun trafficking crew accused of selling firearms and ammo at an East Elmhurst playground, the Queens Center Mall and other locations around the borough.

James secured a 625-count indictment charging five men for participating in the gun smuggling ring, which involved selling dozens of ghost guns, assault weapons, high-capacity magazines and hundreds of rounds of ammunition.