You are reading

GoFundMe Launched to Cover Funeral Costs for Family Killed in Massive Blaze in South Richmond Hill

A GoFundMe page has been launched to help cover the funeral costs of three family members who died in a massive fire in South Richmond Hill Friday. From L to R: Nanda, Salima and Devon Persaud (Photos via GoFundMe and Facebook)

June 20, 2022 By Michael Dorgan

A GoFundMe page has been launched to help cover the funeral costs of three family members who died in a massive fire in South Richmond Hill Friday.

Married couple Nanda Persaud, 59, and Salima Persaud, 53, along with their son Devon, 22, died in the blaze that ripped through their shared home. The family is of Guyanese heritage.

The 5-alarm fire broke out around 2:15 p.m. and ravaged the three-story house located at 104-18 125th St. that ended up collapsing, according to the FDNY.

The inferno, exacerbated by high winds, engulfed four additional homes causing other residents to flee out onto the roadway, according to police and reports.

The blaze brought more than 200 firefighters to the scene and was extinguished at around 4:45 p.m., according to reports. It is unknown what caused the fire.

The remains of Nanda, Salima and Devon were discovered by firefighters in the basement where the family is believed to have lived. It is understood there were other tenants living on the first floor and second floor, as well as in the attic.

The GoFundMe was launched Saturday by Abid Ally, a first cousin of the family.

He said the couple’s only surviving son, named Boyo, 32, does not have the financial ability to pay for the funeral expenses. Boyo also has two children of his own and lives at a separate location, Ally told the Queens Post.

Ally has appealed to the public to contribute to the fund, which has raised around $37,000 so far. The fundraiser aims to generate $60,000.

“This family perished in the fire and did not deserve to die like this,” Ally wrote.

“They were always so welcoming, treated everyone like family, and always tried their best to put a smile on everyone’s faces. It is our duty as human beings to give them the same love and care that they shared with everyone.”

He said that Nanda and Salima had worked hard their whole lives and the funds would go toward giving the family a proper funeral.

“Any amount small or big will go a long way and be very much appreciated,’ Ally wrote.

“We want them to have the sendoff they all deserve to show our love before they [are] laid to rest/cremated,”

The devastating incident spurred Mayor Eric Adams to visit the fire scene on Saturday, according to reports.

He also tweeted about the tragedy writing “our hearts break for Queens.”

“Every New Yorker feels this tragedy and we will be with those affected in the days, weeks and months ahead.”

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Off-duty paramedic spots South Richmond Hill two-alarm house fire that injures nine firefighters, two civilians on Friday morning: FDNY

Nine firefighters were injured, two of them seriously, and two civilians sustained minor injuries during a two-alarm house fire in South Richmond Hill on Friday morning, but it could have been worse if not for the actions of an off-duty veteran EMT.

Paramedic Craig Biscuiti was driving to work when he noticed a column of thick black smoke and heavy flames coming from the first floor of a two-story home at 95-36 111th St. just before 7:10 a.m.

Masked gunman wanted for allegedly robbing a Hillside Avenue convenience store in Hollis: NYPD

Police from the 103rd Precinct in Jamaica are looking for an armed robber who targeted a Hollis convenience store during the early morning of Tuesday, Aug. 5.

The suspect entered the storefront at 187-42 Hillside Ave. just before 5 a.m. and allegedly pulled out a firearm and demanded items from a 26-year-old man behind the counter. The perpetrator removed $100 from the cash register and merchandise from behind the counter before casually walking out of the shop onto Hillside Avenue. The store employee was not injured during the armed robbery.

Queens Together launches ‘Unofficial US Open Dining Guide’ encouraging fans to sample restaurants along the 7 line

Aug. 20, 2025 By Shane O’Brien

The US Open returns to Flushing Meadows Corona Park this Sunday, with more than 1 million attendees anticipated to take mass transit to the iconic annual tennis event. With hundreds of thousands of fans set to take the 7 out to the Billie Jean King National Tennis Center, there is a world of delicious local eateries lying beneath the elevated train tracks should any fan wish to stop en-route to the US Open.