You are reading

Historic Neir’s Tavern Receives Outpouring of Support from Community After Burglary

Neir’s Tavern (Neir’s Tavern via Twitter)

Sept. 29, 2020 By Allie Griffin

A historic Woodhaven bar has received an outpouring of support from neighbors and customers after it was burglarized Friday.

Neir’s Tavern, which has served the neighborhood for more than 190 years, was burglarized Friday morning when someone came in and broke open the cash drawer, grabbing $300 in cash as well as several bottles of alcohol, owner Loycent Gordon said.

Gordon said the burglary was particularly difficult since the COVID-related shutdown had already wreaked havoc on his business.

“It’s just another straw that’s weighing heavy,” he said of the burglary.

The tavern lost nearly a full day of business on Friday — its busiest day of the week — while the police investigated. Gordon also had to go through “administrative hell” to cancel checks that were in the stolen cash drawer, he said.

“The burglary happened. It took maybe five minutes, but it’s probably going to be taking me five weeks to really get back to normal,” Gordon said.

However, a group of loyal Neir’s customers were quick to action and created a gofundme to cover the stolen cash. The fund also aims to make up for lost revenue and to cover some of the related expenses.

Members of the “Neirs 200” community group, which formed when Gordon decided to host weekly conversations with tavern customers earlier this year, started the gofundme page.

Gordon said the encouragement from the group means more to him than the money.

“Initially it was really tough to deal with the rawness of the burglary,” he said.

The fundraiser and support, however, gave him the inspiration and strength needed to continue fighting for the success of his nearly two-century-old bar.

“It just gave me a new burst of energy and outlook that I’m not alone,” Gordon said.

The fundraiser quickly surpassed its $2,500 goal. More than $4,000 has been raised at the time of publication.

Neir’s almost shut its doors for good in January when Gordon was unable to reach a lease agreement with his landlord.

The Queens Chamber of Commerce and elected officials stepped in and helped negotiate a deal to keep it going.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

South Ozone Park gunman faces 25 years to life in prison for murder at Richmond Hill auto repair shop: DA

A South Ozone Park man was indicted by a Queens grand jury in the fatal shooting of a 24-year-old celebrating his 24th birthday in 2022.

Curtis Benjamin, 27, of 113th Street, was arraigned Thursday in Queens Supreme Court on a 14-count indictment charging him with murder, attempted murder and other related crimes for gunning down Justin Baerga and wounding three other partygoers during the attack.

Man sought for allegedly committing act of public lewdness in front of 16-year-old girl on Q43 bus: NYPD

Police from the 103rd Precinct in Jamaica are looking for a creep who subjected a 16-year-old girl to public lewdness in broad daylight while they rode a Q43 bus in Jamaica Estates late last month.

The incident occurred just after 2 p.m. on Tuesday, June 25 as the teen was aboard the Q43 as it rolled down Hillside Boulevard near the intersection of Francis Lewis Boulevard, when she saw a stranger perform a lewd act and stroking her leg before she exited the bus, police said. The suspect remained on the Q43 and the girl was not injured during the disturbing episode.

Queens Village man indicted for stabbing stranger to death in Jamaica deli: DA

A Queens grand jury indicted a Southeast Queens man for fatally stabbing a stranger to death in a Jamaica deli last month.

Jahshua Kelley, 40, of 107th Avenue in Queens Village, was arraigned in Queens Supreme Court Wednesday on a four-count indictment charging him with murder in the second degree, two counts of assault and criminal possession of a weapon. If convicted, Kelley faces up to 25 years to life in prison.

AG James announces dismantling of Queens-based ghost gun trafficking operation

New York Attorney General Letitia James announced Wednesday the takedown of a prolific Queens-based gun trafficking crew accused of selling firearms and ammo at an East Elmhurst playground, the Queens Center Mall and other locations around the borough.

James secured a 625-count indictment charging five men for participating in the gun smuggling ring, which involved selling dozens of ghost guns, assault weapons, high-capacity magazines and hundreds of rounds of ammunition.