You are reading

Lancman to Step Down From City Council to Join Cuomo Administration

Queens City Council Member Rory Lancman (NYC Council)

Oct. 30, 2020 By Michael Dorgan

Queens Council Member Rory Lancman is leaving office to take up a new role with the Cuomo administration.

Lancman has been appointed as Special Counsel for Ratepayer Protection, a newly-created position where he will represent the interests of residential and commercial customers of regulated electric, gas, water and telecom companies.

Governor Andrew Cuomo made the announcement today. The governor said that he created the position following repeated failures by utility and telecom companies.

“Utility companies do not have a God-given right to operate in New York, and when they abuse and bully consumers they must be held accountable,” Cuomo said.

Lancman, who is term-limited, will effectively step down on Nov. 4, the date when he takes up his new appointment.

His departure will trigger a special election for his District 24 seat, which covers Kew Gardens Hills, Fresh Meadows, Hillcrest, Pomonok, Jamaica Estates and Briarwood.

The council member looked to exit his council seat last year. He ran for Queens District Attorney in 2019 but pulled out just days before the election to support Melinda Katz who was elected to the position.

He tweeted Friday that it was an honor to represent the district and thanked his constituents for their support. Lancman, who currently chairs the New York City Council Committee on the Justice System, added that he had helped build a “fairer, more accountable justice system” and is looking forward to serving his constituents in a new way.

Lancman in his new role will review the performance of all utilities across the state. He will determine, among other things, whether they are making the investments required; whether they are meeting performance standards; and whether they are complying with renewable energy goals and standards.

“Every New Yorker should be able to turn on the lights, heat their homes and open their faucets to clean water because their electricity, gas and water providers are meeting their obligations to provide safe, reliable, and affordable service as the law requires,” Lancman said in a statement he shared on Twitter.

“I’m honored by the governor’s appointment and grateful for his commitment to holding New York’s utilities and telecoms accountable to their most important constituency — the rate-paying public,” Lancman said.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Port Authority announces JFK Airport traffic congestion plan as new terminal construction ramps up this summer

With construction ramping up over the summer on the $19 billion JFK Airport redevelopment project, the Port Authority opened a free drop-off, pickup and waiting lot at the AirTrain station at Lefferts Boulevard to help passengers avoid heavy traffic congestion at the terminal frontages.

The new lot will allow travelers to easily hop on to the free on-airport AirTrain with frequent service for an easy, eight-minute ride to the terminals, saving them time and anxiety from potential construction-related congestion.

Urgent manhunt underway for ‘animal’ who allegedly raped a 13-year-old girl in Flushing park on Thursday: NYPD

The NYPD announced a $10,000 reward is being offered for information that leads to the arrest of a Hispanic man who allegedly raped a 13-year-old girl in a wooded area of Kissena Corridor Park on Thursday afternoon.

More than sixty investigators were at the crime scene late into the night. During a press briefing by NYPD brass on Friday, Chief of Department Jeffrey Maddrey said that the manhunt was expanded city-wide and that the department would spare no expense until the suspect was apprehended.

Attorney General releases body-cam footage in probe of MTA police shooting in Jamaica

New York Attorney General Letitia James on Thursday released police body-worn camera footage that her office obtained as part of the ongoing investigation into the shooting death of 52-year-old Bashe McDaniel, who died on Dec. 29, 2023, following an encounter with members of the Metropolitan Transit Authority, (MTA) Police in Jamaica. The probe by her Office of Special Investigation is mandated under state law.

On the night of Dec. 29, two MTA officers were searching for an individual on Sutphin Boulevard following a report of an alleged sexual assault at the Jamaica LIRR/AirTrain station a block away. The officers spotted McDaniel, who appeared to be wearing the same clothing that was described in the report. As the officers were attempting to handcuff McDaniel, they could be heard ordering him to give them his hands. When he failed to comply, one of the officers used a Taser several times. As McDaniel shrieked and continued to struggle, he allegedly fired a semi-automatic firearm, according to the AG’s office. The two officers discharged their service weapons multiple times in response, striking McDaniel once in the head.