You are reading

Manhattan Man Arraigned on Murder Charges Following Two Fatal Stabbings in Southeast Queens

Feb. 12, 2022 By Michael Dorgan

A Manhattan man who allegedly stabbed two victims to death — in separate incidents — in southeast Queens before Christmas has been charged with murder.

Raymond Kenner, 22, was arraigned before Queens Supreme Court Thursday for fatally stabbing 29-year-old Benjamin Vasquez in Jamaica on Dec. 23, according to the Queens District Attorney’s Office.

Kenner allegedly stabbed Vasquez multiple times on 89th Avenue and 150th Street near Rufus King Park at around 11 p.m. according to the charges.

Two days earlier, on Dec. 21, Kenner allegedly knifed Andrew Cunje to death in Hollis, prosecutors said.

Another defendant, Alexander Stephens, 31, is alleged to have helped Kenner slay Cunje. Stephens, from Jamaica, was also arraigned in court Thursday on murder charges, prosecutors said.

According to the charges, Kenner and Stephens were seen on video surveillance following Cunje as he walked along Jamaica Avenue between 201st Street to Carpenter Avenue at around 8:50 p.m. The duo then allegedly stabbed Cunje several times in the chest and arms then ran off with his wallet and backpack, police said.

Andrew Cunje, pictured, was fatally stabbed on Dec. 21 (Photo via Facebook)

The pair were arrested on Dec. 29 and Kenner was wearing blood-splattered clothes. The clothes matched what he was wearing in the video footage while he also had a folding knife in his possession, prosecutors and police said.

Kenner had been out on bail while awaiting sentencing for an assault at a correction facility while Stephens was on parole after serving time for robbery and attempted robbery, according to the New York Daily News. Stephens is a reputed gang member, the publication reported.

Kenner and Stephens were also hit with robbery and weapons charges Thursday. Additionally, they were accused of tampering with evidence.

Kenner faces 25 years to life for each murder while Stephens faces 25 years to life in prison for the Cunje killing.

They were ordered back to court on April 25.

Kenner (L) and Jenner (R) on CCTV (Photo: NYPD)

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

City hosting walking tours at the new Arverne East Nature Preserve in the Rockaways on Sunday

This Sunday, May 19, the city is conducting walking tours of the newly opened Arverne East Nature Preserve in the Rockaways to showcase the 35-acre beachfront jewel developed on a formerly vacant illegal dumping ground on Beach 44th Street in Edgemere.

The tours, hosted by the Department of City Planning (DCP), NYC Parks, and the Department of Housing Preservation and Development (HPD), will allow participants to explore the preserve’s diverse ecosystem. The large preserve is a component of the upcoming Arverne East housing development, which, when completed, will be one of the most environmentally conscious developments in the United States, achieving net zero and eliminating the need for fossil fuels on-site.

QBP Richards, advocates rally to demand Mayor Adams restore funding to City’s libraries

May. 17, 2024 By Gabriele Holtermann

A rally was held at the Queens Public Library at Forest Hills on May 16, during which Queens Borough President Donovan Richards, Queens Public Library President and CEO Dennis Walcott, union reps and library advocates called on Mayor Eric Adams to reverse the proposed $58.3 million budget cuts to the New York Public Library (NYPL), the Brooklyn Public Library (BPL), and the Queens Public Library (QBL) for Fiscal Year 2025, which begins on July 1, 2024.

Queens elected officials secure $70 million from New York State Budget for school safety equipment in religious and independent schools

May. 17, 2024 By Anthony Medina

Religious and independent schools throughout the city will soon receive additional funding for school safety equipment, thanks to Assemblymember Andrew Hevesi and State Senator Michael Gianaris, who, after extensive advocacy efforts, successfully secured $70 million from the New York State Budget for 2024-25 for Non-Public School Safety Equipment (NPSE) grants.

Young man chased, punched out and robbed in Cambria Heights by gunman who remains at large: NYPD

Police from the 105th Precinct in Queens Village are looking for a gunman who chased his victim through Cambria Heights before beating and robbing him on the night of Wednesday, May 8.

A 22-year-old man was in front of a business establishment at 229-02 Linden Blvd. when he was approached by a stranger. Sensing danger, he took off running eastbound toward the Cross Island Parkway with his assailant in pursuit.