You are reading

Mayor and Schools Chancellor Announce New COVID-19 Case Rule for School Closures

(Michael Appleton/Mayoral Photography Office)

April 8, 2021 By Allie Griffin

Mayor Bill de Blasio announced sweeping changes to the city’s COVID-19 closure policies for New York City public schools.

The city has doubled the number of coronavirus cases that requires the Department of Education to close a school for 10 days.

Beginning Monday, schools will close for in-person instruction if four or more cases of the coronavirus are detected among students or staff within one week, de Blasio announced Thursday.

The cases must also be found in different classrooms and must have been contracted inside the school.

“Fewer closures mean consistency and stability for students, staff, families and more days in classrooms for New York City’s children,” Schools Chancellor Meisha Ross Porter said at the mayor’s press briefing.

Previously, two unlinked cases among students and staff within one week triggered a 10-day closure of an entire building — which could mean multiple schools within the same building were shuttered. The new rule will close only the school where there are four or more cases were found, not the entire building.

“We’ve seen the studies, consulted with medical experts and based this change on guidance from the CDC,” Porter said. “We’ve heard the voices of our school communities calling for increased stability around in-person learning as long as we can do so safely.”

If a school closes, all students will be switched to remote learning until it reopens in 10 days.

If two or three cases of COVID-19 are confirmed in different classrooms, the city will double the amount of random weekly testing from its baseline of 20 percent of staff and students to 40 percent of staff and students, Porter said.

One confirmed case within a class will still warrant a closure of that individual classroom for 10 days, she added.

Parents with children who are enrolled in full remote learning have until Friday to decide to send their kids back to the classroom for the remainder of the school year. It is the last opportunity for parents to enroll the children in the city’s blended learning model, in which students attend class in-person on some days and remotely on other days.

Parents who wish to enroll their children in the hybrid model can do so by calling 311 or visiting nycenet.edu/surveys/learningpreference.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Off-duty paramedic spots South Richmond Hill two-alarm house fire that injures nine firefighters, two civilians on Friday morning: FDNY

Nine firefighters were injured, two of them seriously, and two civilians sustained minor injuries during a two-alarm house fire in South Richmond Hill on Friday morning, but it could have been worse if not for the actions of an off-duty veteran EMT.

Paramedic Craig Biscuiti was driving to work when he noticed a column of thick black smoke and heavy flames coming from the first floor of a two-story home at 95-36 111th St. just before 7:10 a.m.

Masked gunman wanted for allegedly robbing a Hillside Avenue convenience store in Hollis: NYPD

Police from the 103rd Precinct in Jamaica are looking for an armed robber who targeted a Hollis convenience store during the early morning of Tuesday, Aug. 5.

The suspect entered the storefront at 187-42 Hillside Ave. just before 5 a.m. and allegedly pulled out a firearm and demanded items from a 26-year-old man behind the counter. The perpetrator removed $100 from the cash register and merchandise from behind the counter before casually walking out of the shop onto Hillside Avenue. The store employee was not injured during the armed robbery.

Queens Together launches ‘Unofficial US Open Dining Guide’ encouraging fans to sample restaurants along the 7 line

Aug. 20, 2025 By Shane O’Brien

The US Open returns to Flushing Meadows Corona Park this Sunday, with more than 1 million attendees anticipated to take mass transit to the iconic annual tennis event. With hundreds of thousands of fans set to take the 7 out to the Billie Jean King National Tennis Center, there is a world of delicious local eateries lying beneath the elevated train tracks should any fan wish to stop en-route to the US Open.