You are reading

Mayor’s Map Showed Most of Ida’s Victims Lived Where Rainfall Was Riskiest

NYPD officers stand at the driveway of a Hollis, Queens, homes where two people died during Wednesday night’s flooding, Sept. 2, 2021.

NYPD officers stand at the driveway of a Hollis, Queens, homes where two people died during Wednesday night’s flooding. | Hiram Alejandro Durán/ THE CITY

Logo for THE CITY

This article was originally published
by The CITY on Sept. 3 
BY Katie Honan

A stormwater risk map issued by the city in May showed serious possible flooding at homes where 10 people drowned in their basement apartments when record-breaking rainfall pummeled the city Wednesday night.

The interactive map, released in conjunction with Mayor Bill de Blasio’s stormwater resiliency plan and required by a 2018 City Council law, offers a granular look at the threat, with a foot or more of flooding predicted in some areas when combined with expected future sea level rise.

The plans showed awareness of vulnerable spots, as de Blasio Friday continued to describe the deluge brought by the remnants of Hurricane Ida as an unpredictable event — one he said New Yorkers should expect to recur.

“We are now dealing with something inconceivable,” the mayor said during his morning press briefing. “Once in a century events are happening regularly.”

The plan had laid out a decade-long timetable for new measures such as building new high-level storm sewers to better handle rain and working on a notification system for people in vulnerable areas.

As reported by the New York Post, an early-warning system to evacuate basement apartment dwellers wasn’t slated to launch until 2023.

The mayor vowed to accelerate action.

“We’re constantly racing against higher and higher standards and we’re going to have to do our best to meet them but sometimes the power of nature will surpass this,” he said.

De Blasio announced a task force to focus on stormwater and said to expect future travel advisories and mandatory evacuation orders ahead of forecasted storms like the one that slammed the city Wednesday.

He said City Hall would expedite a plan to notify people living in basement apartments about the possibility of flooding, and could even order mandatory evacuations. Some housing advocates estimate potential for more than 300,000 basement apartments in New York City, but the mayor on Friday said his office put the figure at about 50,000 apartments, housing close to 100,000 people.

“We know basement apartments create a whole set of particular challenges,” he said.

Hiram Alejandro Durán/THE CITY A basement on the same Hollis, Queens, block as two Ida fatalities.

Breaking with de Blasio, state Attorney General Letitia James urged the city Friday to provide rent vouchers “to all New Yorkers living in unregulated basement apartments.”

“It is our duty to move these New Yorkers out of harm’s way by offering them safer, regulated housing,” she added.

‘Absolutely Breathtaking’

Early notification could have saved lives on Wednesday, when 11 of the 13 people killed in the storm died inside flooded basements. Most of their homes had been illegally converted into apartments, the Department of Buildings said Friday.

For those who died, at four homes in Queens and one in Brooklyn, all but one location appears on the city’s map as at risk of future flooding even in moderate rainstorms:

A 66-year-old man was found dead inside a basement apartment at 491 Ridgewood Ave. in Cypress Hills, Brooklyn. His address was flagged for potential risk for flooding, the map shows.

A 50-year-old man, a 48-year-old woman and their 2-year-old son were found dead inside their basement apartment inside 44-60 64th St. in Woodside, Queens. The city’s stormwater maps show flood risk for moderate rain for a few homes on that block, which is next to a wall of the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway.

Two women and one man were found dead inside a cellar-level apartment at 153-10 Peck Ave. in Flushing, Queens, near Kissena Park. The city’s map shows future risk for flooding even during moderate rainfall.

An 86-year-old woman was found dead inside a flooded basement at 55-35 84th St. in Elmhurst, Queens, which the map shows was partially at risk for flooding during moderate rainfall.

A 45-year-old woman and her 22-year-old son were killed as they became trapped inside their basement apartment at 90-11 183rd St. in Hollis, Queens, on a block with longstanding flooding issues, neighbors said. The map showed the block was susceptible to flooding during extreme rainfall.

A spokesman for the mayor said the city prepared as best it could, including sending out alerts across the city about what turned out to be a historic deluge.

The mayor reiterated on his weekly radio appearance that the city was working to change how it responds to extreme weather.

“The storm has shown us a ferocity and a speed that is just absolutely breathtaking,” he said in an interview with WNYC’s Brian Lehrer. “And it’s made very clear we’re going to have to change a lot of things we do.”

‘It’s Going to Cost a Lot’

One the blocks where some victims died in Queens, neighbors said flooding has been a longstanding issue and called on the city to take action.

Samsul Chowdhury owns a home a few doors down from the basement apartment where the couple and their son died during the quick-moving storm. He rushed his own basement tenants up to his apartment when water started pouring in.

“There is a problem that the city needs to fix,” he said Thursday, while showing the damage inside his home.

Costa Constantinides, a former City Council member from Astoria who sponsored the stormwater plan and map law, told THE CITY Friday that all branches of government — and city residents — will have to commit to improving aging infrastructure.

“It’s not going to be popular, and it’s going to cost a lot of money, and we’re going to have to explain it really well,” he said.

The city’s ongoing population growth, and the threat from increasingly fierce storms, will inevitably bring more flooding, Constantinides said.

“This infrastructure was built in the 1900s, and it was built when the city had millions fewer people,” he added. “An inch and a half, two inches of rain causes major problems. We know all these things, yet we’re not taking any action.”

THE CITY is an independent, nonprofit news outlet dedicated to hard-hitting reporting that serves the people of New York.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Construction workers rescued from trench collapse at South Ozone Park home Monday morning: FDNY

The FDNY rescued two construction workers who were injured during a trench collapse at a home in South Ozone Park Monday morning.

Multiple units, including Squad 288 from Maspeth and Engine 302 in Jamaica, began arriving on the scene minutes after receiving a call just after 11:36 a.m. of workers trapped in the collapse of a retaining wall at 133-28 150th St. Firefighters discovered the two men pinned at the knees from dirt and debris in a collapsed 20-by-40-foot section. A neighbor who witnessed the scene said other construction workers came to the aid of the two before the FDNY arrived on the scene.

John Adams HS assistant principal busted in alleged sexual abuse of 15-year-old student: NYPD

An administrator at John Adams High School in Ozone Park was arrested on campus Wednesday for allegedly stroking the inner thigh of a 15-year-old student on Monday and then showing pornographic images of himself to her the following day.

Police from the 106th Precinct in Ozone Park responded to the scene after the student reported the incident to another John Adams High School administrator. Michael Budhu, 52, was then taken into custody.

Five Queens startups win $20,000 each in 2024 Tech + Innovation Challenge

May. 19, 2024 By Czarinna Andres

A diverse range of businesses, including a yoga studio, an olive oil distributor, a female health care provider, a sustainable mushroom farmer, and an AI-powered physical therapy service, have been named winners of the 2024 Queens Tech + Innovation Challenge (QTIC). Each winner will receive a $20,000 grant to support their business operations.

City hosting walking tours at the new Arverne East Nature Preserve in the Rockaways on Sunday

This Sunday, May 19, the city is conducting walking tours of the newly opened Arverne East Nature Preserve in the Rockaways to showcase the 35-acre beachfront jewel developed on a formerly vacant illegal dumping ground on Beach 44th Street in Edgemere.

The tours, hosted by the Department of City Planning (DCP), NYC Parks, and the Department of Housing Preservation and Development (HPD), will allow participants to explore the preserve’s diverse ecosystem. The large preserve is a component of the upcoming Arverne East housing development, which, when completed, will be one of the most environmentally conscious developments in the United States, achieving net zero and eliminating the need for fossil fuels on-site.

QBP Richards, advocates rally to demand Mayor Adams restore funding to City’s libraries

May. 17, 2024 By Gabriele Holtermann

A rally was held at the Queens Public Library at Forest Hills on May 16, during which Queens Borough President Donovan Richards, Queens Public Library President and CEO Dennis Walcott, union reps and library advocates called on Mayor Eric Adams to reverse the proposed $58.3 million budget cuts to the New York Public Library (NYPL), the Brooklyn Public Library (BPL), and the Queens Public Library (QBL) for Fiscal Year 2025, which begins on July 1, 2024.

Queens elected officials secure $70 million from New York State Budget for school safety equipment in religious and independent schools

May. 17, 2024 By Anthony Medina

Religious and independent schools throughout the city will soon receive additional funding for school safety equipment, thanks to Assemblymember Andrew Hevesi and State Senator Michael Gianaris, who, after extensive advocacy efforts, successfully secured $70 million from the New York State Budget for 2024-25 for Non-Public School Safety Equipment (NPSE) grants.

Young man chased, punched out and robbed in Cambria Heights by gunman who remains at large: NYPD

Police from the 105th Precinct in Queens Village are looking for a gunman who chased his victim through Cambria Heights before beating and robbing him on the night of Wednesday, May 8.

A 22-year-old man was in front of a business establishment at 229-02 Linden Blvd. when he was approached by a stranger. Sensing danger, he took off running eastbound toward the Cross Island Parkway with his assailant in pursuit.