You are reading

NYC to Receive 72,000 Doses of Vaccine, ‘Could Arrive as Early as This Weekend’: Cuomo

Gov. Andrew Cuomo says that 72,000 doses will be coming to NYC by next week at a press conference today Wednesday

Dec. 9, 2020 By Christian Murray

The first batch of the COVID-19 vaccine is expected to arrive in New York City by next week and Governor Andrew Cuomo announced today that a total of 72,000 doses are coming to the five boroughs.

Cuomo announced that the doses “could arrive as early as this weekend”—with nursing home residents and staff to get them first.

New York State will receive 170,000 doses that will be distributed by region. For instance, New York City will receive 72,000 doses, while Long Island will be allocated with 26,500 doses

Nursing homes will receive them first, followed by high-risk hospital workers—such as emergency room workers and ICU staff.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration is expected to approve the Pfizer vaccine as soon Thursday.

Cuomo said that six million doses will be distributed around the country, although only half will be shipped out to begin with. The other half will be sent out in 21 days, which will be for the second dose that is required.

The governor said that a state panel would “immediately” conduct its own review of the vaccine after it is approved by the FDA. Once that quick review is complete, the vaccine would be approved for use.

Cuomo said that there are 90 regional distribution centers capable of ultra-cold storage.

The governor said steps had been taken to make sure that the identity of undocumented immigrants would not be disclosed.

email the author: [email protected]
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Queens man faces life in prison for murder of his accomplice during Ozone Park shootout: DA

A Springfield Gardens man was indicted by a Queens grand jury for murder and other crimes for allegedly gunning down his own accomplice instead of his intended target during an Ozone Park shootout in June, according to Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz.

Richard Dixon, 32, of 141st Avenue, was arraigned Jan. 27 before Queens Supreme Court Justice Kenneth Holder on an eight-count indictment charging him with murder in the second degree, attempted murder, assault and criminal possession of a weapon.

BP launches new advisory panel for youth to become civically engaged in the future of Queens

In an effort to get more young people involved in civics, Queens Borough President Donovan Richards has created a new advisory panel known as the Youth and Young Adult Council to introduce the “youngest and fiercest” community advocates to both community service and organization.

Members of the advisory body will advocate concerns through means of community engagement by participating in one of two cohorts. The first will be made up of high school representatives between the ages of 13 and 17, while the second cohort will be comprised of young adults between the ages of 18 and 25.