You are reading

NYPD Investigates Unprovoked Attack of 70-Year-Old Sikh Man in Richmond Hill as Hate Crime

Harpreet Toor (left) with Nirmal Singh (right). Singh was punched on the nose in an unprovoked attack that police are investigating as a hate crime (Photo courtesy of Harpreet Toor)

April 4, 2022 By Christian Murray

A 70-year-old Sikh man was punched on the nose during an early morning walk in Richmond Hill Sunday.

The unprovoked attack took place on 95th Avenue and Lefferts Boulevard at around 6:45 a.m. and no words were exchanged prior to the punch.

The victim, identified as Nirmal Singh, suffered a broken nose and bruising to his face and went to Jamaica Hospital by private means.

The incident is being investigated as a hate crime, according to police. The perpetrator, who is described as Black, did not ask for money– just punched him.

The attack stunned the south Asian community and has caused outrage among elected officials and local residents.

“The attack on the 70-year-old Sikh man in Richmond Hill over the weekend was a despicable display of hatred and cowardice,” said State Sen. Joseph Addabbo.

“Nirmal Singh did nothing to provoke this heinous assault, and after any attack on a person of a specific race or religion, we must look into it as a possible hate crime. I will offer whatever assistance is needed by the NYPD in their search for this suspect and I my thoughts are with Mr. Singh and the entire Sikh community of Richmond Hill.”

Meanwhile, Assembly Member Jenifer Rajkumar, tweeted Sunday that the NYPD is investigating the case and that she has “zero tolerance for violence against the Sikh community in my district.”

Harpreet Toor, a Sikh Indian who unsuccessfully ran for City Council in the 23rd District last year, condemned the attack.

“This is such a shame that this is happening in New York City. It is happening far too often.”

Toor, who has been helping Singh since the attack, said the south Asian community believes that he was targeted because he was wearing a turban.

He said that Singh had only been in the country since March 21. This is his first trip to the US, as he was about to see his son and daughter who both live in Canada.

“He has been to eight other countries and this is the first time that he has been attacked. It’s such as shame,” Toor said.

Toor is calling for the city to take action to protect the South Asian community.

“We don’t want lip service; we want to see something concrete.”

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

City hosting walking tours at the new Arverne East Nature Preserve in the Rockaways on Sunday

This Sunday, May 19, the city is conducting walking tours of the newly opened Arverne East Nature Preserve in the Rockaways to showcase the 35-acre beachfront jewel developed on a formerly vacant illegal dumping ground on Beach 44th Street in Edgemere.

The tours, hosted by the Department of City Planning (DCP), NYC Parks, and the Department of Housing Preservation and Development (HPD), will allow participants to explore the preserve’s diverse ecosystem. The large preserve is a component of the upcoming Arverne East housing development, which, when completed, will be one of the most environmentally conscious developments in the United States, achieving net zero and eliminating the need for fossil fuels on-site.

QBP Richards, advocates rally to demand Mayor Adams restore funding to City’s libraries

May. 17, 2024 By Gabriele Holtermann

A rally was held at the Queens Public Library at Forest Hills on May 16, during which Queens Borough President Donovan Richards, Queens Public Library President and CEO Dennis Walcott, union reps and library advocates called on Mayor Eric Adams to reverse the proposed $58.3 million budget cuts to the New York Public Library (NYPL), the Brooklyn Public Library (BPL), and the Queens Public Library (QBL) for Fiscal Year 2025, which begins on July 1, 2024.

Queens elected officials secure $70 million from New York State Budget for school safety equipment in religious and independent schools

May. 17, 2024 By Anthony Medina

Religious and independent schools throughout the city will soon receive additional funding for school safety equipment, thanks to Assemblymember Andrew Hevesi and State Senator Michael Gianaris, who, after extensive advocacy efforts, successfully secured $70 million from the New York State Budget for 2024-25 for Non-Public School Safety Equipment (NPSE) grants.

Young man chased, punched out and robbed in Cambria Heights by gunman who remains at large: NYPD

Police from the 105th Precinct in Queens Village are looking for a gunman who chased his victim through Cambria Heights before beating and robbing him on the night of Wednesday, May 8.

A 22-year-old man was in front of a business establishment at 229-02 Linden Blvd. when he was approached by a stranger. Sensing danger, he took off running eastbound toward the Cross Island Parkway with his assailant in pursuit.