You are reading

Queens Catholic Schools Will Remain Open Even if Public Schools Shutter, Diocese Says

St. Sebastian Catholic Academy in Woodside (Photo: Queens Post)

Nov. 16, 2020 By Allie Griffin

Catholic schools in Queens and Brooklyn will remain open for in-person learning even if New York City public schools shutter due to a spike in COVID-19 cases, the Superintendent of Catholic Schools for Brooklyn and Queens announced Sunday.

Queens and Brooklyn Catholic schools will continue to provide in-person instruction five days a week, regardless as to whether Mayor Bill de Blasio shuts down in-person classes for public school students — something he warned could be just days away.

The Brooklyn Diocese — which also represents the borough of Queens — has had children in school buildings for more than two months without issue and will continue to do so, Superintendent Dr. Thomas Chadzutko said.

“For more than eight weeks, we have been able to maintain in-person learning for our students, mostly five days a week, and we intend to keep doing so going forward this school year,” Chadzutko said. “We know how critical it is for the development of our students to keep our schools open.”

The superintendent made the announcement as the city’s seven-day rolling average positivity rate nears the 3 percent threshold de Blasio set as the marker to close public schools.

The city’s seven-day positivity rate was at 2.77 percent on Saturday — a slight dip from a day earlier when it reach 2.94 percent, according to city Health Dept. data.

De Blasio has held firm on his promise to shutter in-person learning at public schools if the rate reaches 3 percent.

Chadzutko, meanwhile, said all 69 Catholic schools and academies across Queens and Brooklyn will stay open for their students.

“Our children want to be in the classroom and we want them to be there for as long as safely possible,” he said.

email the author: [email protected]
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Queens man charged with rape, assault, robbery in violent crime spree targeting spas: DA

A South Ozone Park man was criminally charged for targeting four Queens spas in armed robberies in just over a week.

Shahab Usman, 40, of 118th Street, was arraigned in Queens Criminal Court on Dec. 6 on two separate complaints charging him with rape, assault, multiple robbery counts and weapons charges for a crime spree that left a spa customer paralyzed from a gunshot wound, Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz announced Thursday.

“New York’s Funniest Stand-Up” with Matt Koff

Dec. 6, 2023 by Jill Carvajal

The “New York’s Funniest Stand-Up” competition recently celebrated its 15th year as part of the annual New York Comedy Festival both founded by Caroline Hirsch of Caroline’s on Broadway. New York’s Funniest and previous winners have gone on to become some of the biggest names in comedy.

Two men sought in series of spa robberies, sexual assaults across Queens

The NYPD is looking for two violent men who have targeted four spas across three Queens police precincts in the last week-and-a-half, leaving several spa workers injured in assaults and one man critically injured after he was shot, according to authorities.

On Monday, Dec. 4, one of the men entered the Sun Spa at 112-21 Jamaica Ave. in Richmond Hill, within the confines of the 102nd Precinct, at around 3:40 p.m., when the suspect pulled out a handgun and demanded that a 50-year-old woman working in the spa take him to a private room, police said. Once inside, the perpetrator allegedly put the firearm against her head and sexually assaulted her.