You are reading

Queens Council Member Ulrich Calls on Schools Chancellor to Loosen School Closure Guidelines

Council Member Erich Ulrich (NYC Council, John McCarten via Flickr)

March 23, 2021 By Allie Griffin

Council Member Eric Ulrich is calling on Department of Education to change its protocols on school closures–to prevent school buildings from shutting down and reopening so frequently.

Ulrich penned a letter to Schools Chancellor Meisha Ross Porter urging her to reconsider the current DOE policy that requires school buildings to close for 10 days if two unlinked COVID-19 cases are found within the school community.

“While I commend DOE and its unprecedented efforts to transition from in-person learning to remote learning during the peak of the pandemic, the frequent closures at schools in my district have been especially challenging for students and parents,” Ulrich wrote in a March 18 letter.

“I am writing to urge you to reconsider the current standards and protocols for closing school buildings with regards to COVID-19.”

The policy — crafted in a deal with the United Federation of Teachers (UFT) — has caused frequent school closures and reopenings that has created instability for young students and parents alike, Ulrich said.

Ulrich said hundreds of parents have called his office to complain about the policy.

“In recent months, schools in my district have been opened and closed so many times that hundreds of parents have contacted my office to complain,” he said in the letter. “In some cases, entire buildings were closed on account of just two positive cases.”

Currently, there are 186 school buildings closed citywide due to positive COVID-19 cases, according to DOE data.

Since September, there have been more than 2,000 school closures of ten days or more and another 817 single-day closures.

School closure protocols (UFT)

The frequent closures often leave working parents scrambling last minute to find a babysitter or daycare.

“As parents and guardians have been returning to work, finding childcare during the school hours has become a massive burden – and oftentimes, a costly one,” Ulrich wrote. “During a time of such economic uncertainty, we cannot afford to put parents in a position where they must choose between putting food on the table and caring for their child during school hours.”

Mayor Bill de Blasio has repeatedly said he would review the two-case closure policy, but has yet to make any definitive announcements on it.

The president of the UFT, Michael Mulgrew, said he is against relaxing the policy for the time being on the Brian Lehrer show last week.

“We can’t just say, because they’re inconvenience, we don’t want them,” Mulgrew said of the closure policy. “Then we make a mistake.”

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Off-duty paramedic spots South Richmond Hill two-alarm house fire that injures nine firefighters, two civilians on Friday morning: FDNY

Nine firefighters were injured, two of them seriously, and two civilians sustained minor injuries during a two-alarm house fire in South Richmond Hill on Friday morning, but it could have been worse if not for the actions of an off-duty veteran EMT.

Paramedic Craig Biscuiti was driving to work when he noticed a column of thick black smoke and heavy flames coming from the first floor of a two-story home at 95-36 111th St. just before 7:10 a.m.

Masked gunman wanted for allegedly robbing a Hillside Avenue convenience store in Hollis: NYPD

Police from the 103rd Precinct in Jamaica are looking for an armed robber who targeted a Hollis convenience store during the early morning of Tuesday, Aug. 5.

The suspect entered the storefront at 187-42 Hillside Ave. just before 5 a.m. and allegedly pulled out a firearm and demanded items from a 26-year-old man behind the counter. The perpetrator removed $100 from the cash register and merchandise from behind the counter before casually walking out of the shop onto Hillside Avenue. The store employee was not injured during the armed robbery.

Queens Together launches ‘Unofficial US Open Dining Guide’ encouraging fans to sample restaurants along the 7 line

Aug. 20, 2025 By Shane O’Brien

The US Open returns to Flushing Meadows Corona Park this Sunday, with more than 1 million attendees anticipated to take mass transit to the iconic annual tennis event. With hundreds of thousands of fans set to take the 7 out to the Billie Jean King National Tennis Center, there is a world of delicious local eateries lying beneath the elevated train tracks should any fan wish to stop en-route to the US Open.