You are reading

Queens Man Who Allegedly Tried to Rape Teen and Two Women Charged with Attempted Sexual Abuse: DA

Makijah Lino in suspect images released by the police (NYPD)

Nov. 16, 2020 By Allie Griffin

A Queens man was arraigned Saturday on attempted sexual abuse and other charges after he allegedly pounced on a 14-year-old girl and two women in broad daylight in Kew Gardens, Forest Park and Richmond Hill last week.

Makijah Lino, 22, allegedly grabbed the teen and two women in three separate incidents over the span of just three hours Thursday. He attempted to remove the pants of both the teen and one of the women, and grabbed another woman’s buttocks, police said.

Lino, of Richmond Hill, began his frightening spree at around 10:30 a.m. when he approached a 20-year-old woman who was walking near 104th Street and Jamaica Avenue. He allegedly grabbed her buttocks and picked her up, according to the charges, but the woman was able to get out of his grip.

About two hours later, he allegedly targeted the 14-year-old on the corner of 118th Street and 84th Avenue in Kew Gardens and pushed her into a hedge. He tried to unfasten the button on her pants, but the teen was able to fight him off, according to the charges.

Lino then headed to Forest Park where he allegedly targeted a 24-year-old jogger running along Forest Park Drive. He picked the woman up and threw her to the ground and then pulled down her sweatpants, the charges state. The jogger struggled with Lino and he ran off.

He was arrested early Friday after the NYPD released images of a suspect from the scene of one of the sexual assaults. His own stepfather reportedly turned him in after seeing the images on the news, according to the New York Post.

Lino was arraigned at Queens Criminal Court Saturday on two counts of attempted sexual abuse in the first degree, forcible touching and endangering the welfare of a child. If convicted, he faces up to four years in prison.

Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz said the three victims all have the right to feel safe on city streets and no one should be permitted to undermine that.

“We are all entitled to expect our city parks and their surroundings to be safe places for our families and ourselves,” she said in a statement. “The three females allegedly preyed upon by this defendant — one of them a teenager, all of whom we believe were randomly chosen — certainly had the right to such expectations.”

email the author: [email protected]
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Borough president hears from community members on budget needs throughout Queens

During a two-day public hearing on the mayor’s 2024 preliminary budget, Queens Borough President Donovan Richards Jr. listened to testimonies from 14 community board representatives, community stakeholders and members of the public on where the money should be spent in Queens. 

The public hearings were held both in-person and via Zoom on Monday, Jan. 30, and Tuesday, Jan. 31, at Queens Borough Hall. The testimonials will be used to develop the Queens Borough Board’s FY24 preliminary budget priorities in the coming weeks. 

‘He didn’t deserve to die’: Borough President Richards leads emotional candlelight vigil for Tyre Nichols

Queens Borough President Donovan Richards held a candlelight vigil for Tyre Nichols outside Queens Borough Hall Monday, Jan. 30 after Nichols’ death at the hands of police officers in Memphis, Tenn., made national headlines for the brutality in which the officers beat him.

Almost immediately after news broke about Nichols’ death, the Memphis police officers who beat him to death were fired and charged with murder. The police department released the body cam footage of the fatal beating on Jan. 27, but many people, including some at the vigil, have refused to watch it due to its extremely graphic nature.

Queens man faces life in prison for murder of his accomplice during Ozone Park shootout: DA

A Springfield Gardens man was indicted by a Queens grand jury for murder and other crimes for allegedly gunning down his own accomplice instead of his intended target during an Ozone Park shootout in June, according to Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz.

Richard Dixon, 32, of 141st Avenue, was arraigned Jan. 27 before Queens Supreme Court Justice Kenneth Holder on an eight-count indictment charging him with murder in the second degree, attempted murder, assault and criminal possession of a weapon.

BP launches new advisory panel for youth to become civically engaged in the future of Queens

In an effort to get more young people involved in civics, Queens Borough President Donovan Richards has created a new advisory panel known as the Youth and Young Adult Council to introduce the “youngest and fiercest” community advocates to both community service and organization.

Members of the advisory body will advocate concerns through means of community engagement by participating in one of two cohorts. The first will be made up of high school representatives between the ages of 13 and 17, while the second cohort will be comprised of young adults between the ages of 18 and 25.