You are reading

Queens Officials Condemn Supreme Court Decision That Overturns State Law on Concealed Handguns

Mayor Eric Adams says that the Supreme Court ruling will put New Yorkers at greater risk of gun violence.
ED REED/MAYORAL PHOTOGRAPHY OFFICE

June 23, 2022 By Christian Murray

Queens officials were quick to condemn the Supreme Court’s ruling today that overturned a century-old handgun law that many say could result in a flood of firearms hitting the streets.

The Supreme Court, in a 6-3 decision, ruled that the state’s handgun law that limits people from carrying concealed firearms is a violation of the Second Amendment.

New York’s laws are tight when it comes to carrying a concealed firearm—and residents need to go through a lengthy and arduous process to get a permit. Among the many requirements, they have to show that have a need for possessing the weapon.

Gun-rights advocates argue that the laws are too tight, noting that there is a vast number of illegal weapons on the street often used by criminals. They argue that regular New Yorkers should be able to carry guns to defend themselves without such restrictions.

The ruling, written by Justice Clarence Thomas, says that state’s concealed handgun law violates the constitution “by preventing law-abiding citizens with ordinary self-defense needs from exercising their right to keep and bear arms in public.”

The decision came as little surprise since the court’s conservative majority indicated their opposition to the law during oral arguments in the fall. The case was brought by the New York State Rifle and Pistol Association.

The ruling is likely to lead to more weapons on the streets–such as in subways and other heavily trafficked areas.

Many Queens leaders argue that the court’s ruling will put the public at risk.

“Today’s decision by the Supreme Court deals a major blow to our ongoing efforts to make NYC a safer city for all residents,” said Council Member Sandra Ung, who represents Flushing and adjacent neighborhoods. “Coming just a month after the tragic shooting and murder of 19 children in Uvalde, this decision is not only tone-deaf, but moves our country and our state in the wrong direction. It will cost lives.”

Meanwhile, Councilmember Shekar Krishnan, who represents Jackson Heights and Elmhurst, was short and to the point. “As a father of two, as a subway rider, as a New Yorker, the Supreme Court decision is absolutely terrifying.”

Councilmember Julie Won, who represents western Queens, tweeted that she was “Heartbroken by Supreme Court ruling.” “How many more lives will it take for us to see gun control as a constitutional right to domestic tranquility, justice, welfare, and freedom to leave our homes without the fear of getting shot?”

Forest Hills councilmember Lynn Schulman tweeted that the ruling sets a dangerous precedent and puts all New Yorkers at risk.

Meanwhile, Queens Borough President Donovan Richards also was highly critical of the ruling.

“Today’s ruling is equal parts dangerous, delusional and a dereliction of government’s sacred duty to keep its residents safe,” Richards said in a statement.

“For years in states across this country, far-right radicals who fetishize firearms and worship at the altar of weaponry have prioritized the profits of gun manufacturers — and the campaign contributions they make in return — over public safety. With this cult-like obsession with firearms now forced upon New York by the Supreme Court’s conservative majority, we are less safe today than we were yesterday.”

Mayor Eric Adams and police officials at a press conference last month calling on federal authorities to crack down on ghost guns (Ed Reed/Mayoral Photography Office)

Mayor Eric Adams, a retired NYPD captain, also issued a statement condemning the ruling.

Put simply, this Supreme Court ruling will put New Yorkers at further risk of gun violence. We have been preparing for this decision and will continue to do everything possible to work with our federal, state, and local partners to protect our city. This decision may have opened an additional river feeding the sea of gun violence, but we will do everything we can to dam it.”

Gov. Kathy Hochul railed against the ruling and said that she would fight to keep New York’s strict gun laws in place.

“Let me be clear: This is New York. We don’t back down, we fight back. New York is still home to the strongest gun laws in the country & I’ll keep doing everything in my power to keep New Yorkers safe.”

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Construction workers rescued from trench collapse at South Ozone Park home Monday morning: FDNY

The FDNY rescued two construction workers who were injured during a trench collapse at a home in South Ozone Park Monday morning.

Multiple units, including Squad 288 from Maspeth and Engine 302 in Jamaica, began arriving on the scene minutes after receiving a call just after 11:36 a.m. of workers trapped in the collapse of a retaining wall at 133-28 150th St. Firefighters discovered the two men pinned at the knees from dirt and debris in a collapsed 20-by-40-foot section. A neighbor who witnessed the scene said other construction workers came to the aid of the two before the FDNY arrived on the scene.

John Adams HS assistant principal busted in alleged sexual abuse of 15-year-old student: NYPD

An administrator at John Adams High School in Ozone Park was arrested on campus Wednesday for allegedly stroking the inner thigh of a 15-year-old student on Monday and then showing pornographic images of himself to her the following day.

Police from the 106th Precinct in Ozone Park responded to the scene after the student reported the incident to another John Adams High School administrator. Michael Budhu, 52, was then taken into custody.

Five Queens startups win $20,000 each in 2024 Tech + Innovation Challenge

May. 19, 2024 By Czarinna Andres

A diverse range of businesses, including a yoga studio, an olive oil distributor, a female health care provider, a sustainable mushroom farmer, and an AI-powered physical therapy service, have been named winners of the 2024 Queens Tech + Innovation Challenge (QTIC). Each winner will receive a $20,000 grant to support their business operations.

City hosting walking tours at the new Arverne East Nature Preserve in the Rockaways on Sunday

This Sunday, May 19, the city is conducting walking tours of the newly opened Arverne East Nature Preserve in the Rockaways to showcase the 35-acre beachfront jewel developed on a formerly vacant illegal dumping ground on Beach 44th Street in Edgemere.

The tours, hosted by the Department of City Planning (DCP), NYC Parks, and the Department of Housing Preservation and Development (HPD), will allow participants to explore the preserve’s diverse ecosystem. The large preserve is a component of the upcoming Arverne East housing development, which, when completed, will be one of the most environmentally conscious developments in the United States, achieving net zero and eliminating the need for fossil fuels on-site.

QBP Richards, advocates rally to demand Mayor Adams restore funding to City’s libraries

May. 17, 2024 By Gabriele Holtermann

A rally was held at the Queens Public Library at Forest Hills on May 16, during which Queens Borough President Donovan Richards, Queens Public Library President and CEO Dennis Walcott, union reps and library advocates called on Mayor Eric Adams to reverse the proposed $58.3 million budget cuts to the New York Public Library (NYPL), the Brooklyn Public Library (BPL), and the Queens Public Library (QBL) for Fiscal Year 2025, which begins on July 1, 2024.

Queens elected officials secure $70 million from New York State Budget for school safety equipment in religious and independent schools

May. 17, 2024 By Anthony Medina

Religious and independent schools throughout the city will soon receive additional funding for school safety equipment, thanks to Assemblymember Andrew Hevesi and State Senator Michael Gianaris, who, after extensive advocacy efforts, successfully secured $70 million from the New York State Budget for 2024-25 for Non-Public School Safety Equipment (NPSE) grants.

Young man chased, punched out and robbed in Cambria Heights by gunman who remains at large: NYPD

Police from the 105th Precinct in Queens Village are looking for a gunman who chased his victim through Cambria Heights before beating and robbing him on the night of Wednesday, May 8.

A 22-year-old man was in front of a business establishment at 229-02 Linden Blvd. when he was approached by a stranger. Sensing danger, he took off running eastbound toward the Cross Island Parkway with his assailant in pursuit.