You are reading

Reps. Ocasio-Cortez, Maloney, Meng and Others Call for Gov. Andrew Cuomo to Resign

Governor Andrew Cuomo (Governor Andrew Cuomo’s Office/ Flickr)

March 12, 2021 By Allie Griffin

Queens Congressmembers Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Grace Meng, Carolyn Maloney and Nydia Velazquez are all calling on Governor Andrew Cuomo to resign amid a flurry of sexual harassment allegations.

The congressmembers are among the latest to call on Cuomo to step aside and allow the lieutenant governor to take over. Cuomo faces sexual harassment accusations from six women — including multiple former or current staffers– as well as a nursing home scandal.

Ocasio-Cortez, in a joint statement with Rep. Jamaal Bowman of Yonkers, cited the most recent allegation, where a young female staffer said Cuomo groped her underneath her blouse during a meeting at the Executive Mansion late last year.

“The fact that this latest report was so recent is alarming, and it raises concerns about the present safety and well-being of the administration’s staff,” Ocasio-Cortez and Bowman said in a statement Friday. “These allegations have all been consistent and highly-detailed, and there are also credible media reports substantiating their accounts.”

Meng released her own statement Friday morning in which she called the allegations “alarming” and said Cuomo must resign.

“The challenges facing our state and New Yorkers are unprecedented, and I believe he is unable to govern effectively,” she said. “The Governor should resign for the good of our state.”

Maloney said she admired the courage of Cuomo’s accusers and thanked the #Metoo movement for supporting the women who come forward.

“I join with Majority Leader Andrea Stewart Cousins, my colleagues and others who have called on Governor Cuomo to resign in the best interest of all New Yorkers,” Maloney said Friday. “We have come a long way, but now is the time to finally ensure that this generation’s courage stops harassment once and for all.”

Ocasio-Cortez and Bowman also noted the nursing home scandal that has plagued the Cuomo administration for months.

An investigation by New York Attorney General Letitia James found that the administration hid data on COVID-19 nursing home deaths and estimated the death toll was undercounted by as much as 50 percent. The number was revised in January from 8,500 to about 15,000 deaths.

James is now investigating the sexual harassment allegations against the Governor.

Representative Jerrold Nadler — the chairman of the House Judiciary Committee and one of the highest-ranking members of Congress — as well as Representatives Kathleen Rice, Mondaire Jones, Yvette Clark, Adriano Espaillat and Nydia Velázquez have also called for Cuomo’s resignation.

email the author: [email protected]
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Borough president hears from community members on budget needs throughout Queens

During a two-day public hearing on the mayor’s 2024 preliminary budget, Queens Borough President Donovan Richards Jr. listened to testimonies from 14 community board representatives, community stakeholders and members of the public on where the money should be spent in Queens. 

The public hearings were held both in-person and via Zoom on Monday, Jan. 30, and Tuesday, Jan. 31, at Queens Borough Hall. The testimonials will be used to develop the Queens Borough Board’s FY24 preliminary budget priorities in the coming weeks. 

‘He didn’t deserve to die’: Borough President Richards leads emotional candlelight vigil for Tyre Nichols

Queens Borough President Donovan Richards held a candlelight vigil for Tyre Nichols outside Queens Borough Hall Monday, Jan. 30 after Nichols’ death at the hands of police officers in Memphis, Tenn., made national headlines for the brutality in which the officers beat him.

Almost immediately after news broke about Nichols’ death, the Memphis police officers who beat him to death were fired and charged with murder. The police department released the body cam footage of the fatal beating on Jan. 27, but many people, including some at the vigil, have refused to watch it due to its extremely graphic nature.

Queens man faces life in prison for murder of his accomplice during Ozone Park shootout: DA

A Springfield Gardens man was indicted by a Queens grand jury for murder and other crimes for allegedly gunning down his own accomplice instead of his intended target during an Ozone Park shootout in June, according to Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz.

Richard Dixon, 32, of 141st Avenue, was arraigned Jan. 27 before Queens Supreme Court Justice Kenneth Holder on an eight-count indictment charging him with murder in the second degree, attempted murder, assault and criminal possession of a weapon.

BP launches new advisory panel for youth to become civically engaged in the future of Queens

In an effort to get more young people involved in civics, Queens Borough President Donovan Richards has created a new advisory panel known as the Youth and Young Adult Council to introduce the “youngest and fiercest” community advocates to both community service and organization.

Members of the advisory body will advocate concerns through means of community engagement by participating in one of two cohorts. The first will be made up of high school representatives between the ages of 13 and 17, while the second cohort will be comprised of young adults between the ages of 18 and 25.